Photo via suziemay212 on Instagram
Just weeks after revealing “I think I will sing again” in a TV interview, R.E.M. frontman Michael Stipe took to the stage Monday night in New York City as the unannounced opening act for Patti Smith at Webster Hall, performing a six-song set that included two numbers by his old band and four covers — including “Theme From ‘New York, New York.'”
Performing on keyboards and joined by two other musicians, Stipe performed R.E.M.’s “Saturn Return” and “New Test Leper,” plus covers of Vic Chesnutt’s “Lucinda Williams,” Smith’s own “Wing,” Perfume Genius’ “Hood” and the aforementioned “New York, New York,” popularized by Liza Minelli and Frank Sinatra.
Below, check out the setlist, plus audio and video of Stipe’s performance.
We’ll add more as it surfaces.
Smith — perhaps with Stipe in tow once again — also is slated to perform Tuesday night at Webster Hall.
Setlist: Michael Stipe, Webster Hall, New York, NY, 12/29/14
1. “Lucinda Williams” (Vic Chesnutt)
2. “Theme From ‘New York, New York'”
3. “Wing” (Patti Smith)
4. “Saturn Return” (R.E.M.)
5. “Hood” (Perfume Genius)
6. “New Test Leper” (R.E.M.)
* Opening for Patti Smith
Michael Stipe, “New Test Leper” and “Saturn Return” (R.E.M.)
Michael Stipe, “Theme From ‘New York, New York'”
Michael Stipe, “Hood” (Perfume Genius)
Michael Stipe, “New Test Leper” (R.E.M.)
Michael Stipe, “Lucinda Williams” (Vic Chesnutt)
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Watch: Michael Stipe looks back on 30 years of R.E.M., vows to never reunite band
- R.E.M. to release 14 hours of live material, TV appearances in 6-DVD ‘REMTV’ box
- R.E.M. releases monster 131-track Warner Bros. rarities set, puts ‘Chronic Town’ on iTunes
- R.E.M.’s 50-track ‘Complete Rarities: I.R.S. 1982-1987’ due out digitally next month
- ‘This is not just pop music’: Michael Stipe inducts Nirvana into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame