The highly anticipated XTC documentary “This Is Pop” — the subject of a petition earlier this year to convince the BBC to air it after the network allegedly passed on the program — will, in fact, be seen on TV in the UK this fall: Sky Arts is set to broadcast the film in October.
More specifically, according to XTC mainman Andy Partridge, “This Is Pop” will air on Sky Arts at 9 p.m. GMT on Oct. 7. “Date for your diary,” he tweeted Thursday, announcing the documentary’s UK airing.
XTC TV doc THIS IS POP will be broadcast on Sky Arts on Saturday Oct. 7th at 9pm GMT. Date for your diary.
— XTC (@xtcfans) August 31, 2017
Word of the XTC documentary, and its quickly deleted trailer, appeared online in March. The film features new interviews with Partridge and bandmates Colin Moulding, Terry Chambers and Dave Gregory, along with fans such as Stewart Copeland of The Police and actor Harry Shearer.
A week later, an XTC fan in the U.K. launched a petition to convince the BBC to air “This Is Pop” following reports the British television broadcaster had passed on showing Special Treats Productions’ film. The Change.org petition collected more than 2,800 digital signatures.
Now that’s moot, though, as the documentary is slated to air on a different U.K. network. Partridge, on Twitter, said he’d alert fans to any future showing in other countries, and added, “There may well be a DVD later, yes, if they can get clearances from everyone that owns a slice of us.”
And you can now, once again, view the full 6-minute trailer, which is posted below.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- XTC’s ‘Black Sea’ being prepped for reissue with new stereo, surround mixes
- Watch: Andy Partridge stars in trailer to upcoming XTC documentary ‘This Is Pop’
- Andy Partridge working to restore XTC’s ‘Oranges and Lemons’ for audiophile reissue
- XTC’s ‘Drums and Wires’ audiophile reissue to include new 5.1 mix, demos, rehearsal tracks
- Reissue of XTC’s ‘Skylarking’ with ‘corrected polarity’ finally coming to CD