Matt Johnson will now open The The’s highly anticipated return with a trio of “very low-key warm-up shows” in the U.K. this May prior to a headlining performance at a Denmark festival and what’s being called the “London Trilogy” of sold-out concerts this summer.
The just-announced shows will take place May 25 and 26 in Nottingham and May 27 in Leeds; tickets already are sold out for all three shows.
The concerts will be The The’s first in 16 years, and follow the release last year of both a brand-new single, “We Can’t Stop What’s Coming,” featuring Johnny Marr and a three-disc box set chronicling Johnson’s 12-hour radio broadcast a few years back. Johnson had said in 2015 that he was working on a “proper” new The The record, though it’s not clear if that’s still in the works.
See The The’s reunion dates below.
The The tour dates:
May 25: Rescue Rooms, Nottingham, UK
May 26: Rescue Rooms, Nottingham, UK
May 27: Becketts Student Union, Leeds, UK
June 1: Heartland Festival, Egeskov Castle, Denmark
June 2: Münchenbryggeriet, Stockholm, Sweden
June 5: Royal Albert Hall, London, UK
June 6: Brixton Academy, London, UK
June 7: Troxy, London, UK
July 7: Iveagh Gardens, Dublin, Ireland
Sept. 6-9: Festival No. 6, Portmeirion, UK
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- The The announces new 3-disc ‘Radio Cineola Trilogy’ box set, first concerts in 16 years
- The The re-presses sold-out ‘We Can’t Stop What’s Coming’ 7-inch on white vinyl
- Watch: The The’s emotional new music video for ‘We Can’t Stop What’s Coming’
- Listen: The The, ‘We Can’t Stop What’s Coming’ — first new single in 10 years
- ‘120 Minutes’ Rewind: The The’s Matt Johnson earns an MTV disclaimer while hosting in 1986
- The The re-enlists Johnny Marr on first new single in 10 years for Record Store Day