Source: Midnight Oil on Facebook
Midnight Oil played a pair of small Australian concerts in recent days ahead of a short run of European dates, and treated fans to both the debut of the band’s first new song in 16 years and the group’s first full-album performance of Diesel and Dust in its native country.
The Oils are playing a limited number of concerts this summer before heading into the studio “to track some new music for possible release in 2020.” Any new release would be the first new music from the band since 2003 benefit single “No Man’s Land.” The Oils’ last album, Capricornia, was released in 2002.
Fans got their first taste of the new material with the premiere of the gentle acoustic number “Tarkine” in Wollongong on Thursday night. And despite Peter Garrett’s admonition that if “anyone films it and puts it on YouTube, they’re dead meat,” you can watch it below… because someone filmed it and put it on YouTube.
Then, on Monday night, the Oils performed their 1987 global breakthrough Diesel and Dust in full in Canberra to coincide with Reconciliation Day in that territory. The Oils posted on social media that it was the first time they’d played the full record in Australia. (Though this setlist, if accurate, indicates they performed “The Dead Heart” and bonus track “Gunbarrel Highway” slightly out of order.)
Midnight Oil’s tour resumes June 9 in England and will conclude with one more Australian show, a festival date, on July 18. See those tour dates below.
And check out that new song, too.
Midnight Oil tour dates
UK & EUROPE
June 9: O2 Apollo, Manchester, England
June 11: Olympia, Dublin, Ireland
June 13: O2 Brixton Academy, London, England
June 17: Stadtpark, Hamburg, Germany
June 19: Porta Nigra, Trier, Germany
June 21: Zeltfestival, Mannheim, Germany
June 27: Grand Rex, Paris, France
July 1: Tollwood Festival, Munich, Germany
July 3: Killesberg, Stuttgart, Germany
July 6: Zitadelle, Mainz, Germany
July 13: Amphitheatre, Gelsenkirchen, Germany
July 18: Big Red Bash, Birdsville, Queensland
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS:
- Midnight Oil live set from 1997’s ‘Breathe’ tour to receive vinyl Record Store Day release
- Midnight Oil continues reunion, announces 2019 concerts in U.K., Europe and Australia
- ‘Midnight Oil 1984’ documentary to screen in U.S. theaters next month — see full trailer
- Watch: Patti Smith preaches eco-justice with cover of Midnight Oil’s ‘Beds Are Burning’
- Midnight Oil details huge new 12-disc box set: Demos, rarities, B-sides, hours of live video
- Midnight Oil announces massive 2017 reunion tour, 3 huge box sets with unreleased music