The increasingly trouble-prone Depeche Mode and Morrissey tours continue to shed dates left and right, although the former act now promises to resume its trek June 8 after the band today revealed that singer Dave Gahan underwent surgery to remove a gall-bladder tumor.
Meanwhile, Morrissey — apparently under doctor’s orders not to sing — continues to cancel shows on his Tour of Refusal in the UK and France.
DM this morning announced that in addition to suffering a severe bout of gastroenteritis, doctors discovered that Gahan had a “low-grade malignant tumor” in his gall bladder, which was successfully removed. Gahan is on doctor’s order not to perform until June 8.
That means Depeche Mode has been forced to cancel or reschedule seven more dates on its Tour of the Universe — making a total of 15 shows impacted — which the band pledges to restart June 8 in Leipzig, Germany.
As for Morrissey, the ex-Smith — since our last update — has canceled four shows this week in London and two next week in France, according to fan site Morrissey-solo.com. That brings the total number of Moz’s scrapped gigs in the U.S. and Europe to 15 as well.
According to a post on the singer’s Web site: “Morrissey is on continued doctor’s orders not to sing, to ensure a complete recuperation.”
Newly canceled/postponed Depeche Mode dates:
May 30: O2 Arena, London, UK
May 31: Pinkpop Festival, Landgraaf, Holland
June 2: HSH Nordbank Arena, Hamburg, Germany (rescheduled to July 1)
June 4: LTU Arena, Dusseldorf, Germany
June 5: LTU Arena, Dusseldorf, Germany
June 7: Zentrastadion, Leipzig, Germany
July 2: Vestlandhallen, Bergen, Norway (rescheduled to Jan. 28, 2010)
Newly canceled/postponed Morrissey dates:
May 26: Mile End Troxy Ballroom, London, UK
May 28: Brixton O2 Academy, London, UK
May 29: Brixton O2 Academy, London, UK
May 30: Brixton O2 Academy, London, UK
June 2: Le Grand Rex, Paris, France
June 3: Lille, Aeronef, France
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS:
- Morrissey reschedules canceled UK concerts… then cancels another concert
- Quick Spins: R.E.M. ‘Reckoning’ reissue details, more Depeche Mode cancellations
- Update: Depeche Mode cancel 4 more concerts due to Dave Gahan’s illness
- Dave Gahan rushed to Greek hospital; Depeche Mode cancel 2 concerts
- Sick again, Morrissey cancels U.K. concerts, ‘Jools Holland’ appearance
- Setlist, video: Depeche Mode preview Tour of the Universe in Luxembourg
- Nauseated Morrissey cancels post-Coachella date on trouble-plagued tour
- Morrissey’s ‘Years of Refusal’ tour marred by cancellations, immigration trouble