Depeche Mode today canceled two more concerts on its Tour of the Universe after Dave Gahan tore a calf muscle during last night’s festival performance in Bilbao, Spain, the band is reporting on its Web site.
Currently challenging Morrissey for the most illness-plagued tour of the year, DM canned the final two dates of the European leg of its tour: weekend concerts near Lisbon, Portugal, and in Seville, Spain.
The cancellations come after the band canceled or postponed more than a dozen shows at the opening end of its world tour in May and June when Gahan fell ill just prior to a Greek concert; it was later revealed the frontman had a cancerous tumor removed from his gall bladder.
The band reports that Gahan “has been instructed by doctors to stay off his injured leg in order for it to heal and to prevent any further injury.”
Barring further complications or the continued advance of old age, the tour is scheduled to resume July 24 with the opening of the North American leg in Toronto.
Canceled Depeche Mode dates:
July 11: Super Bock Super Rock Festival, Porto, Portugal
July 12: Olympic Stadium, Seville, Spain
Video: Depeche Mode, “Wrong,” Bilbao Live Festival, Bilbao, Spain, 7/9/09
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS:
- Health issues force Depeche Mode, Morrissey to cancel more concerts
- Quick Spins: R.E.M. ‘Reckoning’ reissue details, more Depeche Mode cancellations
- Update: Depeche Mode cancel 4 more concerts due to Dave Gahan’s illness
- Dave Gahan rushed to Greek hospital; Depeche Mode cancel 2 concerts
- Setlist, video: Depeche Mode preview Tour of the Universe in Luxembourg