Dave Gahan’s health once again has disrupted Depeche Mode’s Tour of the Universe, as the legendary synthpop act hastily canceled its concert tomorrow night at Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View, Calif., just south of San Francisco.
The band announced the cancellation on its Web site this evening, reporting that Gahan is on doctor’s orders to be on “complete vocal rest for 48 hours.” The concert will not be rescheduled “this year,” the band noted. Refunds are available at the point of purchase.
“San Francisco is one of the most important cities to the band and we are devastated that we have been forced to cancel this date,” Gahan said in a statement posted on DepecheMode.com. “We hope to be back soon to play for all of our fans in the area.”
The scrapped San Francisco concert is just the latest trouble for a tour marred by Gahan’s health problems. First, DM canceled or postponed more than a dozen shows at the opening end of its world tour in May and June when Gahan fell ill just prior to a Greek concert; it was later revealed the frontman had a cancerous tumor removed from his gall bladder. Then, in July, the band canceled the final two nights of its European leg after Gahan tore a calf muscle during a concert in Bilbao, Spain.
Depeche Mode’s tour is scheduled to resume Friday in San Diego.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS:
- Morrissey, The Cure, Depeche Mode, Pixies top first six months of Slicing Up Eyeballs
- Depeche Mode cancels concerts after Dave Gahan injures leg during performance
- Health issues force Depeche Mode, Morrissey to cancel more concerts
- Update: Depeche Mode cancel 4 more concerts due to Dave Gahan’s illness
- Dave Gahan rushed to Greek hospital; Depeche Mode cancel 2 concerts
- Setlist, video: Depeche Mode preview Tour of the Universe in Luxembourg