Record Rack: A weekly round-up of new albums, reissues and/or box sets due out Tuesday.
RELEASE: The Unforgettable Fire
BACKSTORY: This 25th anniversary reissue comes in four versions, and the expanded sets feature previously unheard songs “Disappearing Act” and “Yoshino Blossom,” which the band recorded in 1983 with Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois.
BUY IT: The Unforgettable Fire (single CD) via Amazon.com, The Unforgettable Fire: Deluxe Edition via Amazon.com, The Unforgettable Fire: Super Deluxe Edition via Amazon.com, The Unforgettable Fire (vinyl) via Amazon.com
RELEASE: Live at the Olympia
BACKSTORY: This 39-song, 2CD live album was culled from five nights of “working rehearsals” in 2007 and features an impressively deep tracklist, including some super-rare old tracks, ’90s-era album cuts and a few unreleased tunes.
BUY IT: Live at the Olympia (2CD) via Amazon.com, Live at the Olympia (2CD/1DVD) via Amazon.com, Live at the Olympia (2CD/1DVD/4LP) via Warner Bros.
BACKSTORY: Due out this week in the U.K. and Nov. 3 in the U.S., this 18-track disc compiles most of the ailing singer’s B-sides from 2004’s You Are the Quarry, 2006’s Ringleader of the Tormentors, 2008’s Greatest Hits and 2009’s Years of Refusal. Initial pressings also come with a bonus live CD recorded over this past summer in Poland.
BUY IT: Swords via Amazon.co.uk
See more new releases from Erasure, the Gun Club and Madness after the jump…
RELEASE: The Innocents
BACKSTORY: The synthpop duo’s 1988 album gets a “21st anniversary” reissue in the U.K., in single-disc and deluxe editions, the latter of which includes a second CD of remixes, B-sides and live cuts, plus a DVD featuring a 1988 concert that originally was released on VHS in 1989.
BUY IT: The Innocents via Amazon.com, The Innocents: Deluxe Edition via Amazon.com
ARTIST: The Gun Club
RELEASES: Miami, Death Party
BACKSTORY: The Los Angeles psychobilly band’s 1982 sophomore album — produced by Blondie’s Chris Stein and featuring Debbie Harry on backing vocals — and a 1983 follow-up EP — also produced by Stein, and featuring a new band lineup — receive expanded reissues in the U.K., with both including a bonus disc with a vintage live show.
BUY IT: Miami via Amazon.com, Death Party via Amazon.com
RELEASE: One Step Beyond…
BACKSTORY: The British ska outfit’s 1979 debut album is expanded to two discs for its 30th anniversary, with the first featuring the full 15-track album digitally remastered, plus four music videos, and the 18-track second disc featuring Peel Session recordings, demos, singles and B-sides, EP tracks and live songs.
BUY IT: One Step Beyond… via Amazon.co.uk
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- U2 tour dates: 360° trek returns to North American stadiums in June and July 2010
- Tracklist: U2’s ‘Unforgettable Fire’ reissue includes unreleased songs, live material
- U2’s Rose Bowl concert to be streamed live on YouTube worldwide Sunday
- R.E.M. ‘This Is Not a Show’ concert film to receive limited theatrical screenings
- R.E.M. ‘Live at the Olympia’ tracklist revealed; 39-song, 2CD set due Oct. 26
- Morrissey collapses on stage during U.K. concert, hospitalized in stable condition
- Tracklist for Morrissey’s ‘Swords’ B-sides CD revealed; singer plans L.A. concert
- Erasure reveals tracklist for ‘The Innocents’ expanded reissue, ‘Phantom Bride EP’
- Erasure reissuing ‘The Innocents,’ rare club mixes, ‘Abba-esque’ remix EP
- Madness reissuing ‘One Step Beyond…’ in expanded 30th anniversary set