R.E.M. recently set up camp in a Portland, Ore., recording studio to begin work with producer Jacknife Lee on the follow-up to 2008’s back-to-rock effort Accelerate. It’s a process the band has begun to document on its REMhq.com website with photos like the shot above, and, more recently, a pair of iPhone videos shot by a heavily bearded Michael Stipe (see clips below). Be warned, though: It gets a bit loud at the end of the second video.
See Michael Stipe’s videos of R.E.M. in the studio after the jump…
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- R.E.M. ‘This Is Not a Show’ concert film to receive limited theatrical screenings
- Video: R.E.M.’s Bill Berry, Mike Mills join Peter Buck and The Minus 5 in Athens
- Video: R.E.M., ‘Drive’ from forthcoming ‘Live at the Olympia’ bonus DVD
- Video: R.E.M., ‘Living Well is the Best Revenge’ from ‘Live at the Olympia’
- R.E.M. ‘Live at the Olympia’ tracklist revealed; 39-song, 2CD set due Oct. 26
- Peter Buck, Steve Wynn and Scott McCaughey plan triple-bill band-swapping tour
- Thom Yorke, Michael Stipe pay tribute to Miracle Legion’s Mark Mulcahy
- R.E.M. planning ‘Reckoning’ reissue, ‘Dublin Working Rehearsals’ live album
- R.E.M. crashes its own tribute concert, plays surprise song with Patti Smith
Actually, according to an earlier post on REM HQ yesterday, the band is recording in New Orleans.