We caught up on a few TiVo’d episodes of “Spectacle: Elvis Costello With…” this weekend at Slicing Up Eyeballs World HQ, and while it’s true that pretty much every episode of this Sundance Channel rock ‘n’ talk show is a gem, one performance from a few weeks back really stood out: Elvis Costello and Ron Sexsmith performing the Canadian singer-songwriter’s low-key arrangement of “Everyday I Write the Book,” a song Costello himself had written off.
It’s a fantastic rendition — with a harmony assist from Jesse Winchester, while the episode’s two other guests, Sheryl Crow and Neko Case. look on — that demonstrates how much a subtle tweak can breathe new life into an old warhorse.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Video: Elvis Costello and U2 mash up ‘Pump It Up’ and ‘Get On Your Boots’
- Elvis Costello’s ‘Live at Hollywood High’ due in January
- Elvis Costello, Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys earn Grammy nominations
- Video: Stephen Colbert sings ‘Cheap Reward’ with Elvis Costello
- John Peel box set to feature unreleased session tracks by The Cure, Elvis Costello
- Elvis Costello’s ‘Live at the El Mocambo’ to kick off ‘Costello Show’ live CD series
- Elvis Costello reteams with T Bone Burnett for ‘Secret’ new Americana record