The canonization of the Pixies’ beloved Doolittle continues with Beggars Archives’ just-announced plans to release an “Omnibus Edition” of the 1989 album, with a new surround mix, the record’s demos and possibly a Blu-ray included in the expanded box set.
When the Beggars Banquet archival imprint launched last summer, the Pixies were included in its initial list of projects, but no details were announced. In a post this morning to the Beggars Archive blog, the label for the first time revealed its plans for Doolittle, which has been the subject of an ongoing 20th anniversary tour by the band.
However, details, as well as a timeline for release, remain scarce:
“The surround mix of Doolittle is slowly coming together and we’re looking to interview everyone involved with the album for the Omnibus booklet. The demo tapes will be mastered soon (or as soon as The Fall is finished). I can feel another Blu-ray coming on…”
The label currently is working on previously announced reissues of The Fall’s The Wonderful and Frightening World of the Fall (a 4CD set) and This Nation’s Saving Grace (3CD), as well as This Mortal Coil’s three albums — It’ll End in Tears, Filigree & Shadow and Blood— which are set to be reissued with new Vaughan Oliver artwork and packaged in a 4CD set with a fourth disc of singles. (As for the latter set of reissues, Beggars reports: “With the emergence of Blu-ray audio we may do a release so that you can bathe in the wonderment of genuinely improved sound quality.”)
No release dates have been announced for Fall or This Mortal Coil projects, but those sets are expected this year. It’s unclear when the Doolittle reissue might surface. So far, Beggars Archive has released multidisc Omnibus Edition box sets for The Cult’s Love and Bauhaus’ In the Flat Field and Mask.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Pixies’ Black Francis to dissect ‘Doolittle’ on ‘Sound Opinions’ radio show this week
- Video: ‘Weird Al’ Yankovic sings ‘I Bleed’ with 3/4ths of Pixies at benefit
- Beggars releasing rare Bauhaus, Gary Numan + Tubeway Army bonus discs
- Beggars prepping 3CD ‘Omnibus’ reissue of The Fall’s ‘This Nation’s Saving Grace’
- Gift idea: Vans’ ‘Death to the Pixies’ shoes
- Free download: Pixies’ ‘Doolittle’ tour live EP
- Video and setlist: Pixies open ‘Doolittle’ 20th anniversary tour last night in Dublin
- Pixies add additional ‘Doolittle’ anniversary tour dates in Europe, U.S., Australia
- Bauhaus, Pixies, The Fall up for ‘Omnibus’ reissues from Beggars Archive imprint