Ex-New Order bassist Peter Hook’s long gestating Freebass — a bass supergroup featuring The Smiths’ Andy Rourke and Gary “Mani” Mounfield of The Stone Roses and Primal Scream — today released its debut EP and will make its live debut in London and Manchester in June.
The six-track Two Worlds Collide EP — for sale as a download through the just-launched Hacienda Records — features vocals by The Charlatans’ Tim Burgess, ex-Wah! singer Pete Wylie, notorious drug smuggler Howard Marks and Hooky himself. The tracks, however, are from Freebass’ early sessions; the band has since recorded a 12-track album — expected next month — with vocals by Haven singer Gary Briggs, with drummer Paul Kehoe and guitarist Nat Watson filling out the band.
In an interview last week with The Guardian, Hook explains the Freebass project has taken more than five years because “when it started, we had a lot of time on our hands — Mani, Rourkey and I. And then as soon as we started it, our respective band leaders, in their wisdom, decided to work. So it’s had a lot of false starts.”
The solidified Freebass lineup is slated to make its live debut June 1 at London’s 100 Club and June 2 at Hook’s FAC251 The Factory in Manchester.
As for the EP, it can be purchased here.
See Freebass’ ‘Two Worlds Collide’ tracklist and artwork after the jump…
Tracklist: Freebass, Two Worlds Collide
2. “You Don’t Know (This About Me)” (Vocals by Tim Burgess)
3. “The Milky Way Is Our Playground” (Vocals by Pete Wylie)
4. “Dark Starr” (Vocals by Howard Marks)
5. “Live Tomorrow You Go Down” (Vocals by Peter Hook)
6. “That’s Life”
Freebass tour dates:
June 1: 100 Club, London, UK
June 2: FAC251 The Factory, Manchester, UK
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Peter Hook plans Joy Division set at FAC251, spoken-word tour
- Peter Hook debuts unfinished Joy Division song, New Order outtake at FAC251
- Milestones: New Order’s ‘Technique’ released 21 years ago today
- ‘Ceremony: A New Order Tribute’ proceeds to benefit Tony Wilson charity
- The Other Two reissuing ‘The Other Two & You,’ ‘Super Highways’
- Peter Hook’s Freebass finishes first album, preps debut EP ‘Two Worlds Collide’
- New Order’s botched CD reissues finally to be re-reissued by Rhino Records