Returning to American TV for the first time in 30 years, The Specials last night performed their 1979 single “A Message to You, Rudy” on “Late Night With Jimmy Fallon” (see above) — and a second tune, “Little Bitch” (below), exclusively for the show’s website. And while the band’s reunion already is less-than-complete (keyboardist/songwriter Jerry Dammers isn’t on board), last night the band also was missing vocalist Neville Staple (that’s Trevor Evans filling in).
The band — which just arrived in the U.S. for an appearance this weekend at the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival and a short round of North American dates — last appeared on American TV when it played “Gangsters” and “Too Much Too Young” on “Saturday Night Live” on April 19, 1980 (you can see that video below, too).
See more video of The Specials after the jump…
Video: The Specials, “Little Bitch,” “Late Night With Jimmy Fallon,” 4/13/10
Video: The Specials, “Gangsters,” “Saturday Night Live,” 4/19/80
Video: The Specials, “Too Much Too Young,” “Saturday Night Live,” 4/19/80
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS:
- The Specials, a-ha add additional New York City concerts to their spring U.S. tours
- The Specials add Los Angeles, Toronto dates to short April tour of North America
- The Specials to play ‘Jimmy Fallon,’ New York in April; full U.S. tour later in 2010
- The Specials to release ‘30th Anniversary Tour’ live concert DVD in March
- Coachella lineup: Public Image Ltd., Echo & The Bunnymen, The Specials
- Video: Amy Winehouse joins The Specials for ‘You’re Wondering Now’
- Fun Boy Three’s debut album to be reissued with six bonus B-sides, 12-inch remixes
- The Specials plot ‘final’ dates of 30th anniversary reunion tour of U.K.
- Video: The Specials reunion makes live debut on ‘Later with Jools Holland’