Bat-like former Bauhaus frontman Peter Murphy — who hits the big screen next week with a cameo as a vampire in “The Twilight Saga: Eclipse” — today announced he’ll release his ninth solo album, the fittingly titled Ninth, in the fall, following this summer’s Dirty Dirt Tour.
As we reported last month, Murphy will open his worldwide tour in late July in Paris, with 10 dates announced so far in Europe and Canada, with additional concerts set to be “announced shortly” (see dates here). He’s also finishing up recording his long-awaited follow-up to 2004’s Unshattered.
In a news release issued this morning, Murphy says, “I have had my Ninth album ready to go for a while now. I’ve been playing it live, alongside Bauhaus classics and my own hits, long before the official release and it’s added more stardust to the long shelf life of songs I have under my belt.”
Next week, the singer — who last appeared on screen performing “Bela Lugosi’s Dead” with Bauhaus in 1983’s vampire thriller “The Hunger” (see video below) — will play to one of the biggest audiences of his career when he appears as a vampire dubbed “The Cold One” in “Eclipse,” which opens next Wednesday in the U.S. Check out the photo, above, of Murphy in costume that he posted to his Facebook page.
“Who else could have and should have done it?” Murphy asks of the cameo, which he announced on his website last September while the movie was filming. “It was really lovely and smart of (director) David Slade to ask me… I was honored, actually.”
Watch Bauhaus perform ‘Bela Lugosi’s Dead’ in ‘The Hunger’ after the jump…
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Peter Murphy sets ‘Dirty Dirt Tour’ summer dates in Europe, U.K. and Canada
- Dead Can Dance’s Brendan Perry slams Peter Murphy: ‘Sandwich short of a picnic’
- Dead Can Dance’s Brendan Perry sets solo dates; tour with Peter Murphy in April
- Dead Can Dance’s Brendan Perry and Peter Murphy to co-headline world tour
- Video: Trent Reznor, Peter Murphy perform Iggy Pop, The Normal, Nine Inch Nails
- Peter Murphy to perform rare Bauhaus songs in ‘Secret Bee’ webcasts
- Video: Nine Inch Nails and Peter Murphy cover Joy Division’s ‘Dead Souls’
- Bauhaus’ Peter Murphy covers John Lennon, announces U.S. summer tour
Ninth can’t come out soon enough.
The many new songs he played on the Secret Covers tour last summer were amazing…can’t wait to hear the studio version of “The Prince and Old Lady Shade”.