Further evidence that Robert Smith may be revving up for an active 2011: The son of bassist Simon Gallup posted on Facebook that he was in the studio with The Cure last week, news that lit up fan sites and forums over the weekend.
Aside from headlining Coachella in 2009, The Cure has been largely dormant since releasing 4.13 Dream and touring in 2008. In December, Smith surprised fans by announcing the band will perform at the U.K.’s Bestival this September — although it’s being billed as The Cure’s only European show this year.
As for what Smith and Co. could be working on in the studio — if they’re recording and not just rehearsing — it’s possible they’re finally finishing the so-called “Dark Album,” the long-promised companion piece to 4.13 Dream. Smith last mentioned the project in an update to The Cure’s website a year ago; he wrote that “…part two of the ‘Dream’ sessions is slowly taking shape.”
Of course, Smith still hasn’t delivered on the promise he made in October 2009 when he announced last year’s Disintegration reissue: “There will be a lot more remastered Cure stuff in 2010… including Mixed Up 2…” (a sequel to the 1990 remix album) as well as “The Cure @ The BBC box set… ‘In Orange’ and (1993 concert film) ‘Show’ on DVD… and…”
UPDATE: Violet Vendetta has posted a new update on Facebook clarifying its report, saying, “to clear up some confusion, the cure were not recording anything new last week, just dusting of and getting together for 2011, looking forward etca”
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Official video: Crystal Castles, featuring Robert Smith of The Cure, ‘Not In Love’
- The Cure to headline U.K.’s Bestival; billed as band’s ‘only European show of 2011′
- The Cure’s expanded ‘Entreat Plus’ live album to be released on vinyl in January
- Milestones: The Cure’s Porl Thompson is 53; watch ‘Edge of the Deep Green Sea’
- Steven Severin: Robert Smith says ‘it’s just a matter of time’ until 2nd Glove album
- Download: Crystal Castles featuring Robert Smith of The Cure, ‘Not In Love’