It’s Robert Smith’s birthday today — he’s 52 — and to commemorate this clearly auspicious occasion, we present this U.K. television performance from 1984 that finds The Cure playing a trio of songs from what’s now one of the band’s most overlooked records, The Top. The 10-minute clip, uploaded by YouTube user CarnageVisors, finds the band performing “Bananafishbones,” “Piggy in the Mirror” and the album’s title track, and is notable for showcasing the short-lived lineup that featured drummer Andy Anderson and bassist Phil Thornalley.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Vintage Video: Depeche Mode and The Cure in the studio via 1987 TV report
- Teaser: The Cure’s Robert Smith and The Japanese Popstars, ‘Take Forever’
- Official video: Crystal Castles, featuring Robert Smith of The Cure, ‘Not In Love’
- The Cure to headline U.K.’s Bestival; billed as band’s ‘only European show of 2011′
- Milestones: The Cure’s Porl Thompson is 53; watch ‘Edge of the Deep Green Sea’
- Steven Severin: Robert Smith says ‘it’s just a matter of time’ until 2nd Glove album