For our latest installment of Vintage Video, we figured we’d spotlight The Replacements, because, well… it’s always a good time to share a little ‘Mats love. In the playlist embedded above, you’ll find the full 40-minute set of The Replacements opening for Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers at the Orange County Speedway in Middletown, NY, on Aug. 18, 1989.
The set — posted by YouTube user Blasty — opens with an impromptu jam as Paul Westerberg does a little striptease, removing a whole bunch of jackets he happens to have on. Other highlights of the raucous set include a solo Westerberg take on “Answering Machine” that climaxes as a full-band rocker, plus covers of Bob Dylan’s “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” and “Another Girl, Another Planet” by The Only Ones.
You can watch the whole set above, or check out individual songs at Slicing Up Video.
See the setlist for The Replacements’ 8/19/89 show after the jump…
Setlist: The Replacements, Orange County Speedway, Middletown, NY, 8/18/89
1. “Blues Jam”
3. “Shooting Dirty Pool”
4. “Anywhere’s Better Than Here”
5. “I Will Dare”
6. “They’re Blind”
7. “Raw Ramp”
8. “Achin’ to Be”
9. “Another Girl, Another Planet”
10. “Answering Machine”
11. “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door”
12. “I’ll Be You”
13. “Bastards of Young”
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- The Replacements’ Tommy Stinson finishes second solo album, sets May concerts
- Video + free download: Ex-Replacement Tommy Stinson’s ‘One Man Mutiny’
- Paul Westerberg releases 3 new songs as ‘Mr. F’ in 7-inch vinyl/download combo
- Paul Westerberg inks publishing deal with Bug Music for solo work, Replacements
- Paul Westerberg releasing ‘PW & The Ghost Gloves Cat Wing Joy Boys’ EP
- Tommy Stinson on Replacements reunion: ‘I just don’t know if we have it in us’
I wanted to see this tour but I think the ‘mats got kicked off before they reached Columbus, Ohio and I had no interest in seeing Tom Petty at the time.