With The Cure’s first performances in more than two years just weeks away, Robert Smith is now hinting there could be more activity from his no-longer-dormant band than just the two upcoming full-album shows in Sydney and an appearance at the U.K.’s Bestival this September.
Posting in a comment thread on The Cure’s website on Friday (via Chain of Flowers), Smith writes — in all caps, as he’s wont to do — that “as of now” the May 31 and June 1 “Reflections” shows in Sydney will be the only place the band performs 1979’s Three Imaginary Boys, 1980’s Seventeen Seconds and 1981’s Faith. He qualifies that a second time, writing, “As things stand, we have no plans to play this show anywhere else.”
Yet Smith goes on to add: “But then last month, I thought Bestival was going to be the first Cure show of the year!!! We will see what this ‘Reflections’ experience is like before making any decisions as to whowhenwherewhat or how…”
For fans, the most intriguing question surrounding the prospect of more Cure shows may just be the “who” part of that equation. For the shows at Sydney’s Vivid Live Festival, Smith is bringing back departed keyboard players Lol Tolhurst and Roger O’Donnell — yet guitarist Porl Thompson, who had been playing with the band since about 2005, is noticeably absent. And Smith hasn’t said who’s performing the Bestival set on Sept. 10.
But at least Cure fans eventually will be able to see the “Reflections” show and the reunion with Tolhurst and O’Donnell: As Smith notes, the two Australian concerts are being “filmed both nights with a view to creating a DVD.”
Read Robert Smith’s full statement after the jump…
Posted by CURE:ROBERT on 5/13/2011 10:29 AM (GMT-04:00)
AS OF NOW…
‘REFLECTIONS’ IS A SPECIAL – A ONE TIME ONLY (TWO TIMES ONLY?!!) EVENT – FILMED BOTH NIGHTS WITH A VIEW TO CREATING A DVD…
AS THINGS STAND WE HAVE NO PLANS TO PLAY THIS SHOW ANYWHERE ELSE…
BUT THEN LAST MONTH I THOUGHT BESTIVAL WAS GOING TO BE THE FIRST CURE SHOW OF THE YEAR!!!
WE WILL SEE WHAT THIS ‘REFLECTIONS’ EXPERIENCE IS LIKE BEFORE MAKING ANY DECISIONS AS TO WHOWHENWHEREWHAT OR HOW…
FEEL THE FLUX YOUNG JEDI!
(FINALLY REMEMBERED MY LOGIN PASSWORD? HA!!!)
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Milestones: The Cure’s ‘Standing on a Beach’ released 25 years ago today
- The Cure playing first 3 albums in Sydney with Lol Tolhurst, Roger O’Donnell
- Free MP3: Snow & Voices covers The Cure’s ‘Disintegration’ for its ‘Covers Project’
- Milestones: The Cure’s Robert Smith is 52 today; watch ‘Top’-era TV performance
- Vintage Video: Depeche Mode and The Cure in the studio via 1987 TV report
- Teaser: The Cure’s Robert Smith and The Japanese Popstars, ‘Take Forever’
- The Cure to headline U.K.’s Bestival; billed as band’s ‘only European show of 2011′
- Steven Severin: Robert Smith says ‘it’s just a matter of time’ until 2nd Glove album
I’m not counting on it. He’s also “hinted” at releasing a dark album and a second bonus disc for Kiss Me.
Send a ♥ to your favorite blogs. Send it to as many as you can. If you get more than 20 you`re blog is awesome. :)