John Lydon’s reconstituted Public Image Ltd. has completed recording a new album at Steve Winwood’s studio in Cotswolds, England — the band’s first since 1992’s That What Is Not — and will release it next year, the group announced on its website this week.
PiL has not revealed a title or tracklist for the record, which comes after Lydon reformed the band in late 2009. Since then, Public Image Ltd. has toured the world — most recently playing festivals this past summer in Europe and Japan — and Lydon has said in interview that he planned to use tour revenues to self-finance recording of a new PiL album outside of the record-label system.
Above, you can see Lydon baring his belly in a photo taken in July during PiL’s sessions and posted to the band’s website. The current issues of the NME and Clash Magazine apparently have studio previews of the new PiL record, but neither of those articles appear to be online.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Public Image Ltd. reissues entire catalog in Japan on high-quality SHM-CD format
- Public Image Ltd. reunion continues into 2011 with festivals in the U.K., Slovakia
- Video: Public Image Ltd. plays ‘Late Night With Jimmy Fallon,’ sets German tour
- Public Image Ltd. sets 16-date North American club tour to follow Coachella
- Video + setlist: Public Image Ltd. reunites in Birmingham, 1st concert in 17 years
- John Lydon reuniting Public Image Ltd. for 30th anniversary of ‘Metal Box’