Given that it’s Jim Reid’s birthday today — he’s 50 — we turn this installment of Vintage Video over to The Jesus and Mary Chain, featuring full video of the band’s infamous Sept. 9, 1985, performance at Camden’s Electric Ballroom. The Mary Chain played a 6-song, 20-minute, feedback-drenched set, then left the stage — leading the crowd to pelt the stage with bottles and rip a lighting rig down.
In the playlist embedded above, you can watch the full pre-Psychocandy performance, courtesy of YouTube user luxvelour, or check out the individual tracks at Slicing Up Video. The band played “Just Out of Reach,” “Inside Me,” “In a Hole,” “You Trip Me Up,” “The Living End” and “Crack’d” before sending the crowd into a riot, which can be seen at the end of the last clip.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Stream: Jim Reid’s Jesus and Mary Chain 1985 ‘Inspirations & Influences’ mix
- Jim Reid on a new Jesus and Mary Chain album: ‘It might happen, it might not’
- Stream: ‘Black and Blues,’ brand-new song from Jim Reid of The Jesus and Mary Chain
- Jesus and Mary Chain reissues: Take an interactive, 3-D tour of the 2CD/1DVD sets
- Jesus and Mary Chain reissuing all 6 albums this fall in deluxe 2CD/1DVD editions
- JAMC’s Jim Reid ‘wouldn’t rule out’ ‘Psychocandy’ 25th anniversary gigs
- The Jesus and Mary Chain anthologized on 2CD ‘Upside Down: The Best Of’
Awesome! Thanks for posting this amazing set!