Modfather Paul Weller will celebrate the 70th birthday of Paul McCartney on Monday with a one-day-only release of a newly recorded cover of The Beatles’ “Birthday.” Recorded in 24 hours at Weller’s Black Barn studios, the song will be available for purchase for 24 hours via iTunes, with all proceeds going to War Child.
On his website, Weller says:
“I wanted to do something for Paul’s 70th. The man’s been, and still is, an immense and enduring inspiration for me. It was him and his three friends that made me want to pick up a guitar in the first place. I saw him play live recently and he inspired me just as much as ever. He was brilliant. I just hope he likes our little version, a token of my and the band’s love for him and his music. Rock on, Macca.”
It’s not yet clear whether this will be a U.K.-only release.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Video: Paul Weller strips down ‘Sonik Kicks’ with acoustic set at Wall Street Journal
- Paul Weller debuts NSFW ‘Dragonfly’ video — off forthcoming ‘Sonik Kicks’ album
- Video: Paul Weller, ‘That Dangerous Age’ — first single off forthcoming ‘Sonik Kicks’ LP
- Paul Weller announces New York concerts in May — only North American shows this year
- Paul Weller to release ‘Sonik Kicks’ in March; stream album track ‘Around the Lake’