Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds today announced they will release their 15th studio album next February, a nine-track collection titled Push the Sky Away that Cave, on the band’s website, says has a sound and feel that “just seems new, you know, but new in an old school kind of way.” The first single, “We No Who U R,” arrives next Monday.
The album, due out Feb. 18 in the U.K., was recorded in a 19th century mansion in the south of France with longtime producer Nick Launay. Below, you can see a 4-minute trailer for the record featuring behind-the-scenes footage of Cave, Warren Ellis and other members of the Bad Seeds.
Of the record, Cave writes:
“Well, if I were to use that threadbare metaphor of albums being like children, then Push The Sky Away is the ghost-baby in the incubator and Warren’s loops are its tiny, trembling heart-beat. … I enter the studio with a handful of ideas, unformed and pupal; it’s the Bad Seeds that transform them into things of wonder. Ask anyone who has seen them at work. They are unlike any other band on earth for pure, instinctive inventiveness.”
Cave’s website already is taking pre-orders for the album in a variety of formats, including standard CD and vinyl releases, plus a CD/DVD set and a super deluxe box set that will feature the album on CD and vinyl, a DVD with special visuals, two 7-inch singles with non-album bonus tracks and a 120-page replica of Cave’s handwritten notebooks.
All of the pre-orders include a free download of “We No Who U R” on Monday, when the song also will be released for sale via traditional online retailers.
Tracklist: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Push the Sky Away
1. “We No Who U R”
2. “Wide Lovely Eyes”
3. “Water’s Edge”
4. “Jubilee Street”
6. “We Real Cool”
7. “Finishing Jubilee Street”
8. “Higgs Boson Blues”
9. “Push The Sky Away”
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- The Birthday Party’s ‘Junk Yard’ to be reissued in special 12-inch/7-inch/CD set
- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds announce final 3 reissues with 5.1 Surround, bonus material
- Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds reissuing 4 more albums with 5.1 mixes, bonus material
- Nick Cave’s Grinderman to release 2nd album, tour Europe and North America
- 3 more Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds albums to be reissued with 5.1 mixes
- Video: Shane MacGowan enlists Nick Cave, Mick Jones for Haiti single
- Rowland S. Howard, guitarist for Nick Cave’s The Birthday Party, 1959-2009
- Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds’ first 4 albums to be reissued, remixed in 5.1