The Replacements — namely frontman Paul Westerberg and bassist Tommy Stinson — will reunite on stage for the first time in 22 years later this summer to headline Riot Fest in Toronto, Denver and Chicago, site of the band’s unceremonious final performance in Grant Park on July 4, 1991, the festival’s organizers revealed tonight.
First up for the ‘Mats: Toronto on Aug. 24, followed by Chicago the weekend of Sept. 13-15 and Denver over the weekend of Sept. 21-22.
It’s not clear who else will be in the band aside from Westerberg and Stinson, who earelier this year released the Songs for Slim benefit EP under the ‘Mats name to raise money to help pay the medical expenses of ex-Replacements guitarist Slim Dunlap, who suffered a debilitating stroke last year.
The Chicago lineup already had been (mostly) announced, and will include performances by Violent Femmes, Blondie, Black Flag spinoff FLAG, Motorhead, Peter Hook performing a Joy Division set, Bad Religion, Dinosaur Jr, X, Bob Mould, Bad Brains, The Selecter, Mission of Burma, Smoking Popes, Rocket From the Crypt, Guided By Voices, The Dismemberment Plan and more.
The Toronto lineup features Iggy and the Stooges, Rocket From the Crypt, Dinosaur Jr, A Day to Remember, Pierce the Veil, Best Coast and more.
And Denver’s lineup includes Blink-182, The Stooges, Rancid, Public Enemy, Guided by Voices, FLAG, Rocket From the Crypt, Yo La Tengo, Dismemberment Plan, Superchunk, Bad Religion, Naked Raygun, The Stranglers and more
Tickets are on sale now at riotfest.org.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Stream: The Replacements, ‘I’m Not Sayin” — new track from ‘Songs For Slim’ reunion EP
- The Replacements’ ‘Songs For Slim’ EP out digitally March 5, on 12-inch April 16
- The Replacements raise more than $100,000 for Slim Dunlap with reunion EP auction
- Stream: ‘Color Me Obsessed: A Film About The Replacements’ — full 2-hour documentary
- The Replacements reunite to record vinyl-only covers EP, new album ‘possible’