Sonic Youth guitarist Lee Ranaldo returns this October with a new band — Lee Ranaldo & The Dust, featuring SY drummer Steve Shelley, plus guitarist Alan Licht and bassist Tim Lüntzel — and a new album, the 10-track Last Night on Earth, which will be released Oct. 8 by Matador Records, the label announced this week.
Below, you can get a taste of the new band via a stream of the record’s opening track, “Lecce, Leaving.”
The album is a follow-up to 2012′s Between the Times and the Tides, and, according to Matador, “while certainly darker in tone and lyrical content than its immediate predecessor, is the sort of dizzying electric guitar clinic that ranks amongst the best from any era.”
Renaldo, in a statement issued by the label, says of the new album:
“A solo record works best when you feel like you’re opening a window into somebody’s life, experiencing the things they’re going through or thinking about, places they’re seeing, through their eyes. At its best, you find a universality in it.”
Lee Renaldo & The Dust embark on a U.S. fall tour the same day the album is released.
Lee Ranaldo & The Dust, “Lecce, Leaving”
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Sonic Youth’s members releasing new music, touring the U.S. this fall — separately
- ‘120 Minutes’ Rewind: The Sisters of Mercy, Sonic Youth, Nitzer Ebb at Reading — 1991
- Video: Kim Gordon, Steve Jones, J Mascis, Aimee Mann send off SNL’s Fred Armisen
- Thurston Moore’s ‘iconic’ Sonic Youth black Jazzmaster guitar stolen in Philadelphia
- Sonic Youth to release ‘Smart Bar – Chicago 1985’ archival live album in November
- Video: Sonic Youth in Sao Paulo, Brazil — watch what could be band’s final concert
- Thurston Moore and Kim Gordon announce separation; future of Sonic Youth uncertain