On tour last year, Johnny Marr introduced a surprise to his encore set: a cover of Depeche Mode’s unusually guitar-heavy 1993 single “I Feel You.” Now, for Record Store Day, Marr is releasing a studio version of that cover as a limited-edition 7-inch single, backed by a live cover of The Smiths’ “Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want.”
Below, you can stream the Depeche Mode cover.
Record Store Day is set for April 18.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Heaven knows we’re miserable now: The Smiths snubbed by Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- Smiths round-up: Johnny Marr cancels rest of U.S. tour, Morrissey to record new album
- Watch Johnny Marr cover Depeche Mode’s ‘I Feel You’ in Edmonton, Canada
- Johnny Marr debuts video for ‘Dynamo’ — off new album ‘Playland’
- Watch Johnny Marr and Robyn Hitchcock play ‘Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want’
Always enjoyed the DM version. Really love this one. Kicks it up a notch in all the right ways.
This Marr’s guy is pretty good. What’s he done before?
I believe Marr was an original member of The Thompson Twins.
Wasn’t he in Milli Vanilli’s backing band for a while?
No no. You’re all wrong. He used to have spiky blonde hair and go by the name Limahl. X-D
Oh Course, LiMARRl, it all makes sense now!
Original version notwithstanding, I like this version better than Placebo’s. By a lot, actually… and considering my love for Placebo, that’s saying something. I am so impressed with Johnny Effing Marr’s solo work.
the smiths was his Original band
Actually ELECTRONIC was his first go at it. And then THE THE.
Johnny Marr has good taste in music.
In other news: MOZ covers KMFDM.
Well, he started to, but then he had to cancel for health reasons/he found out their name stood for “Kill Meat For Dinner, Mozzer.”
Ha! That made my week.
Hey, you’re welcome, lotus! Hope the next week’s a decent one for ya.
Wow. Incredibly good.
Very nice cover…