Australian rock legends Midnight Oil today unveiled plans for their long-awaited reunion, announcing a world tour that will take the band to North and South America, Europe and the U.K., and New Zealand and Australia this year — plus the release of three different box sets, including one that promises 14 hours of previously unheard and rare material.
The Oils’ 2017 world tour — the band’s first performances together since 2009’s Sound Relief concerts to benefit the victims of that year’s bushfires — opens April 25 with the first of five Brazilian concerts, followed by 13 dates in the U.S. and Canada in May and June. Then it’s off to the U.K. and Europe for 15 shows in June and July.
After a break, the Oils resume with a pair of New Zealand concerts in September and 18 shows in their native Australia in October and November.
See full dates below, and you can find on-sale information here.
The band, at is press conference today in Sydney, also announced the release of three different box sets:
- The Full Tank: Limited Super Deluxe Edition features 13 CDs and 1 DVD, and includes all 11 studio albums, two EPs and the “40,000 Watt RS” DVD containing all the band’s music videos.
- The Vinyl Collection Deluxe Box Set features 13 LPs, including remastered editions of all 11 studio LPs, plus the band’s two 12-inch EPs on 180-gram vinyl.
- The Over Flow Tank: Limited Super Deluxe DVD Box Set features 8 DVDs and 4CDs. The CDs include one disc of unreleased studio recordings, one disc of unavailable B-sides and rarities, plus 2 live discs drawn from “iconic shows across two decades.” The DVDs include “MTV Unplugged,” a live concert from South Africa’s Ellis Park, and “Only The Strong,” a behind-the-scenes documentary about the making of 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 (all previously unreleased). Plus the films “Black Rain Falls,” “Oils On the Water,” “Saturday Night at the Capitol,” “Blackfella Whitefella” and a bonus DVD with rare and unseen live footage from six different concerts.
The Oils, who split in 2002 but have reunited a handful of times, last year announced their intention to reform. The Midnight Oil reunion follows the release last year of frontman, and former politician, Peter Garrett’s solo debut, A Version of Now. Garrett has been performing in support of that record.
See full tour dates below.
Midnight Oil tour dates:
April 25: Pepsi on Stage, Porto Alegre, Brazil
April 27: Live | Curtiba, Brazil
April 29: Espaço das Americas, São Paolo, Brazil
April 30: Vivo Rio, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
May 2: NET Live, Brasilia, Brazil
May 6: Center Stage, Atlanta, GA
May 9: The Filmore, Silver Spring, MD
May 11: House of Blues, Boston, MA
May 13: Webster Hall, New York City, NY
May 16: Keswick Theatre, Glenside, PA
May 18: The Vic, Chicago, IL
May 20: Danforth Theatre, Toronto, Canada
May 23: Paramount Theatre, Denver, CO
May 25: The Wiltern, Los Angeles, CA
May 27: Fox Theatre, Oakland, CA
May 29: Revolution Hall, Portland, OR
May 31: Moore Theatre, Seattle, WA
June 2: The Commodore, Vancouver, Canada
EUROPE + UK
June 21: E-Werk, Cologne, Germany
June 23: Paradiso, Amsterdam, Holland
June 25: Huxleys Neue Welt, Berlin, Germany
June 27: Amager Bio, Copenhagen, Denmark
June 29: Rockafeller Music Hall, Oslo, Norway
July 1: Furuviksparken, Gävle, Sweden
July 4: Hammersmith Apollo, London, UK
July 6: Olympia, Paris, France
July 7: Festival de Beauregard, Hérouville-Saint-Claire, France
July 9: Les Deferlantes Festival, Argeles-sur-Mer, France
July 12: Volkshaus, Zurich, Switzerland
July 14: Musilac, Aix Les Bains, France
July 16: Les Vieilles Charrues, Carhaix, France
July 18: Batschkapp, Frankfurt, Germany
July 21: Colours of Ostrava, Ostrava, Czech Republic
Sept. 9: Vector Arena, Auckland, NZ
Sept. 11: Horncastle Arena, Christchurch, NZ
Oct. 2: ANZAC Oval, Alice Springs, NT (w/ Dan Sultan & Apakatjah)
Oct. 4: Darwin Amphitheatre, Darwin, NT (w/ Dan Sultan & Irrunytju Band)
Oct. 7: Kuranda Amphitheatre, Cairns, QLD (w/ Urthboy)
Oct. 10: Townsville Ent. Centre, Townsville, QLD (w/ Urthboy)
Oct. 12: Great Western Hotel, Rockhampton, QLD (w/ Urthboy)
Oct. 14: Big Pineapple Fields, Sunshine Coast, QLD (w/ The Living End & Jebediah)
Oct. 15: Riverstage, Brisbane, QLD (w/ The Jezabels)
Oct. 19: Hockey Fields, Coffs Harbour, NSW (w/ Jebediah & Jack River)i
Oct. 21: Hope Estate, Hunter Valley, NSW (w/ Birds of Tokyo & Ash Grunwald)
Oct. 24: AIS Arena, Canberra, ACT (w/ Something For Kate)
Oct. 26: The Village Green Adelaide Oval, Adelaide, SA (w/ Spiderbait & Bad//Dreems)
Oct. 28: Perth Arena, Perth, WA (w/ Spiderbait)
Nov. 1: Derwent Entertainment Centre, Hobart, TAS (w/ The Jezabels)
Nov. 3: Gateway Lakes, Wodonga, VIC (w/ The Living End)
Nov. 4: Hanging Rock, Mt Macedon, VIC (w/ John Butler Trio, Something for Kate, Frank Yamma & David Bridie)
Nov. 6: Sidney Myer Music Bowl, Melbourne, VIC (w/ The Jezabels & Adalita)
Nov. 8: WIN Entertainment Centre, Wollongong, NSW (w/ Abbe May)
Nov. 11: The Domain, Sydney, NSW (w/ John Butler Trio & A.B.Original)
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS:
- ‘A busy year ahead’: Midnight Oil poised to announce reunion tour later this week
- Midnight Oil to reissue 10 remastered CDs, finally release ‘Black Rain Falls’ on DVD
- Video: Midnight Oil’s Peter Garrett, Jim Moginie join Hunters & Collectors onstage
- Midnight Oil’s Peter Garrett resigns Australian ministry post, won’t seek re-election