Record Store Day buyers in Europe who’ve already snatched up copies of the hotly anticipated new 7-inch from The Smiths — featuring previously unreleased versions of “The Boy With the Thorn In His Side” and its original B-side “Rubber Ring” — have discovered a biting political message inscribed in the 45’s run-out groove: “Trump will kill America.”
Smiths fans began reporting the etching late Friday (see tweets/photos below). A stand against Donald Trump is not a surprising sentiment given the band’s past political stances, and more recent pronouncements against conservative politicians by both Morrissey and Johnny Marr. Morrissey, in particular, has made no secret of his disdain for the new American president.
The design of the single’s Albert Finney-starring sleeve, as one buyer noted, is credited simply to Esteban, or Steven — Morrissey’s first name — in Spanish.
The single, released by Rhino/Warner Bros., includes a “demo mix” of Queen is Dead track “The Boy with the Thorn In His Side,” and the “early Drone Studios version” of “Rubber Ring,” later compiled on Louder Than Bombs. Both are previously unreleased.
— Ro (@oelkanimor) April 22, 2017
Hard to see but the Smiths vinyl is hand-etched with "Trump will kill America". Word. ✊🏼 pic.twitter.com/oO1dBq2E1O
— Sarah✌🏼 (@sarahbuddery) April 22, 2017
“Trump will kill America”. The Smiths runout groove 2017 #thesmiths#morrissey#rsd#rsd2017 pic.twitter.com/2G9cWMZT0V
— Øystein D Johansen (@Oystein_David) April 20, 2017
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Watch: Morrissey walks off during ‘Everyday is Like Sunday,’ ends concert after 6 songs
- ‘Breakfast with The Smiths’ radio show finds new home on The Independent FM
- ‘Breakfast with The Smiths’ radio show ends 8-year run as Indie1031.com goes dark
- he Smiths to issue unreleased versions of 2 songs on Record Store Day 7-inch
- Morrissey reschedules twice-canceled Texas dates, announces festival appearances