With the North American leg of Depeche Mode’s Global Spirit Tour underway, the time is ripe to roll out the fourth installment of our new readers poll series, and ask you, dear readers, to help us rank every song released over the course of the synth legends’ 37-year career.
By our count, Depeche Mode has issued 209 studio-recorded songs since 1981, including originals and a smattering of covers (songs by U2, The Stooges, Beethoven, the guy who wrote “Route 66”).
VOTING: Below you’ll find a ballot listing all 209 songs released by Depeche Mode. What’s not included are live tracks, any demos and the countless (and we mean countless) remixes released over the years — though you will find a few that could be considered mixes, but aren’t titled as such (like “Fpmip”).
You’re welcome to vote for as many as 25 of your favorite songs released by Depeche Mode.
A few notes on all this:
- We’re pretty confident that our list of 209 songs is complete — Depeche Mode hasn’t been a band to issue much extracurricular music — but if there are any missing, there is a write-in option at the bottom of the poll. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org to alert us to any omissions, or if you’ve got any questions about song eligibility beyond the rules described above.
- As mentioned already, we are not differentiating between the various remixes of a song. It would only serve to split the vote. So even if you’re just nuts about the DJ Shadow Kill the Pain Mix — and only that particular version of the song — you still just have to vote for “Pankiller.”
- The songs on the ballot are listed in strict alphabetical order, meaning “A Question of Lust” will be found in the A’s, not Q’s, and “The Love Thieves” will be in the T’s, not L’s.
- While you can vote for up to 25 songs, they all will be weighed equally when the results are tallied. But if you’d like to share your ranked Top 25 lists with the rest of the Slicing Up Eyeballs readers, feel free to drop them in the comments below, and make your case.
DEADLINE: Voting ends 5 p.m. EST Friday, Sept. 15, and results will be posted by the end of the month.
Sound good? Then vote away.
(If you have any difficulty using the webform below, go directly to Polldaddy to vote: poll.fm/5ugqu)
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Jailed Russian opposition leader laments he’ll miss Depeche Mode concert in Moscow
- Trent Reznor on seeing Depeche Mode in 1986: ‘It was spiritual and truly magic’
- Watch: Depeche Mode covers David Bowie’s ‘Heroes’ at ‘Spirit’ tour opener — full setlist
- Listen: Dave Gahan talks ’70s punk, formation of Depeche Mode on Nerdist podcast