The promo team working the reissue of The Smiths’ classic 1986 The Queen is Dead today interrupted their own series of weekly unreleased live tracks that won’t appear on the upcoming deluxe edition to debut one of the live cuts that will be included on the 3CD/1DVD package.
Below, you can stream (via Stereogum) the previously unreleased 4-minute medley “Rubber Ring/What She Said/Rubber Ring” that was recorded live on Aug. 5, 1986, and which will be included on the Live in Boston disc that comes with the expanded reissue when it arrives on Oct. 20.
As far as the other live tracks, recordings of the first six songs on The Queen is Dead so far have been debuted (links below). Next week should see the release of “The Boy With the Thorn in His Side,” with three more songs to come after that — including, presumably, the only live version of “Some Girls Are Better Than Others,” which was performed for the first and last time at The Smiths’ final concert on Dec. 12, 1986.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Listen: The Smiths, ‘Bigmouth Strikes Again’ — unreleased live take from Berkeley 1986
- Listen: The Smiths, ‘Cemetry Gates’ — unreleased live take from Manchester 1986
- Listen: The Smiths, ‘Never Had No One Ever’ — unreleased live take from Nottingham 1986
- Listen: The Smiths, ‘I Know It’s Over’ — unreleased live take from Los Angeles 1986
- Listen: The Smiths, ‘Frankly Mr. Shankly’ — unreleased live take from Milwaukee 1986
- Listen: The Smiths, ‘The Queen is Dead’ — previously unreleased live recording
- The Smiths’ ‘The Queen is Dead’ 3CD/1DVD reissue to include unreleased 1986 live album