Kate Bush, Depeche Mode, Eurythmics and The Cars are among the acts scoring nominations to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this week, joining a roster of potential inductees that also includes Radiohead, MC5, Nina Simone, Bon Jovi and Rage Against the Machine.
Bush and Eurythmics are first-time nominees, while Depeche Mode is on the list for a second time, and The Cars are up for a third time. Culled from the list of 19 nominations, the selected inductees will be unveiled in December, with the actual ceremony set for April 14 in Cleveland.
To be eligible for nomination, artists must have released their first commercial recording at least 25 years prior to their year of induction. For the Class of 2018, that means 1992.
Fans can also cast their own ballots at the Rock Hall’s website. The top five artists chosen will make up a single “fans’ ballot” that will be counted along with the other ballots to choose next year’s inductees.
The full list of nominees:
J. Geils Band
LL Cool J
Rage Against the Machine
Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
Sister Rosetta Tharpe
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Heaven knows we’re miserable now: The Smiths snubbed by Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- The Smiths nominated for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame — plus Lou Reed, Nine Inch Nails, Kraftwerk
- ‘This is not just pop music’: Michael Stipe inducts Nirvana into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame snubs The Replacements — but Nirvana, Peter Gabriel get in
- The Replacements, Peter Gabriel, Nirvana earn Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominations
- Red Hot Chili Peppers, Beastie Boys make Rock Hall of Fame — The Cure snubbed
Still no Bunnynen?!
Wake me up when the Hall of Fame recognizes Hüsker Dü.
I predict Bon Jovi, Rage, LL Cool J, The Moody Blues and Radiohead for induction. Depeche Mode and Kate Bush deserve it more than any of those but it’s all politics.
Your prediction is spot on.
In a more just world the five would be Depeche Mode, Kate Bush, Eurythmics, The Cars and Nina Simone, but like you say….politics.
I think it should be DM, Moody Blues, the Cars, Dire Straits for sure, then maybe Bon Jovi or Judas Priest.
Not necessarily who I want, but who I think it should be.
I’m happy about the Cars and Kate Bush, and stunned that Link Wray isn’t already in.
My own list for WTF, RNRHOF: Big Star, X, Black Flag, Nick Cave, Paul Weller, Neil Finn, Kraftwerk, and Gary Numan. Just for starters.