Morrissey’s tour opener in Portland, Ore., this week featured at least one major setlist surprise: the singer’s first-ever live performance of “I Started Something I Couldn’t Finish,” the second single off The Smiths’ posthumously released final album Strangeways, Here We Come.
After opening Tuesday night’s concert in Portland, Ore., with the Elvis Presley song “You’ll Be Gone” and “I Wish You Lonely” off his forthcoming album Low in High School, Moz slipped in debut of the 30-year-old single, which had not been performed live by The Smiths before the band’s breakup.
Below, see the full setlist, and watch video of “I Started Something I Couldn’t Finish.” Morrissey’s 16-date U.S. tour — see full dates here — continues tonight in Seattle.
Setlist: Morrissey, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall, Portland, OR, 10/31/17
1. “You’ll Be Gone” (Elvis Presley)
2. “I Wish You Lonely”
3. “I Started Something I Couldn’t Finish” (The Smiths)
4. “Spent the Day in Bed”
5. “Alma Matters”
7. “When You Open Your Legs”
8. “Home Is a Question Mark”
10. “When Last I Spoke to Carol”
11. “How Soon Is Now?” (The Smiths)
12. “I’m Throwing My Arms Around Paris”
13. “The Bullfighter Dies”
14. “Jack the Ripper”
15. “Back on the Chain Gang” (The Pretenders)
16. “World Peace Is None of Your Business”
17. “All the Young People Must Fall in Love”
19. “Meat Is Murder” (The Smiths)
20. “Everyday Is Like Sunday
22. “Shoplifters of the World Unite” (The Smiths)
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Watch: Morrissey debuts new songs, covers The Pretenders in 55-minute set for BBC
- Morrissey announces 16-date U.S. tour this fall in support of ‘Low in High School’
- Hollywood Bowl exit on Los Angeles’ 101 freeway hit with guerrilla Morrissey promotion
- Morrissey announces new album ‘Low in High-School,’ plus Hollywood Bowl concert
- The absolute best of The Smiths: All 70 songs ranked by Slicing Up Eyeballs’ readers
Great, but the tours only 16 dates, and I’ll never get to see him!
and solo.com is still filled with people slagging off the tired old setlist
They will never change
Loved the Smiths, never could get into Morrissey solo.
And now three decades never singing it seems… fair enough.
Live at hollywood bowl – boz and moz played this turn………no ?
About time he did it!!! I love it.
Now please go and sing “Well I wonder” and “I won’t share you” too.
Death of disco dancer please
He should start every tour off with that track.
Considering the way recent tours ended? Appropriate! Yes!
HA! Well played –
…And now you are a sage.