The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame today announced its class of 2018, a list that includes third-time nominees The Cars alongside Bon Jovi, Dire Straits, The Moody Blues and Nina Simone. Additionally, Sister Rosetta Tharpe will receive the Award for Early Influence, organizers said.
Not making the cut this year? Kate Bush, Depeche Mode and Eurythmics, which now join the list of ’80s-era nominees — The Cure, The Smiths, The Replacements — that were snubbed by the Hall of Fame
This year’s other nominees that were passed over: J. Geils Band, Judas Priest, LL Cool J, MC5, The Meters, Radiohead, Rage Against the Machine, Rufus featuring Chaka Khan, Link Wray and The Zombies.
To be eligible for nomination, artists must have released their first commercial recording at least 25 years prior to their year of induction. For the Class of 2018, that meant 1992.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Heaven knows we’re miserable now: The Smiths snubbed by Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- The Smiths nominated for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame — plus Lou Reed, Nine Inch Nails, Kraftwerk
- ‘This is not just pop music’: Michael Stipe inducts Nirvana into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame snubs The Replacements — but Nirvana, Peter Gabriel get in
- The Replacements, Peter Gabriel, Nirvana earn Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominations
- Red Hot Chili Peppers, Beastie Boys make Rock Hall of Fame — The Cure snubbed