Legendary post-punk act Wire kicks off a new reissue series on Record Store Day in the U.K. with the release of Nine Sevens, a box set collecting nine 7-inches spanning 1977 to 1980 — seven singles, plus one that was never released, and a bonus EP that came with early pressings of 154.
The box set will be limited to 1,500 copies and released in the U.K. only via the band’s own label, Pink Flag. The 7-inches are “freshly remastered from the original archive analogue sources,” and come in the original picture sleeves, according to the band. The box features a cover concept by bandmember Bruce Gilbert.
According to the Record Store Day listing, the band is pulling many of these tracks from digital outlets such as Spotify until after the box set goes on sale next month. The singles will be individually released digitally at some point after Record Store Day, but will not be compiled into a single release, according to the band.
Wire does plan to make the box set available via its mail order if any copies remain after Record Store Day.
Tracklist: Wire, Nine Sevens
Mannequin (Pfs1) — “Mannequin” / “Feeling Called Love” / “12XU”
I Am The Fly (Pfs2) — “I Am The Fly” / “Ex-Lion Tamer”
Dot Dash (Pfs3) — “Dot Dash” / “Options R”
Outdoor Miner (Pfs4) — “Outdoor Miner” / “Practice Makes Perfect”
A Question Of Degree (Pfs5) — “A Question Of Degree” / “Former Airline”
Map Ref. 41°N 93°W (Pfs6) — “Map Ref. 41°N 93°W” / “Go Ahead”
Our Swimmer (Pfs7) — “Our Swimmer/ “Midnight Bahnhof Café”
154 EP (Pfs8) — “Song 1” / “Get Down pts 1&2” / “Let’s Panic Later” / “Small Electric Piece”
2nd Length (Pfs9) — “2nd Length (Our Swimmer)” / “Catapult 30”
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Elvis Costello to release cover of Squeeze’s ‘Someone Else’s Heart’ for Record Store Day
- The Vaselines’ debut ‘Dum-Dum’ to be reissued on clear vinyl for Record Store Day
- Big Audio Dynamite II’s ‘On the Road: Live 92’ to get vinyl release for Record Store Day
- The Alarm to tease upcoming album with Record Store Day vinyl EP featuring Billy Duffy
- The Cure’s ‘Torn Down’ 2LP Record Store Day release features 16 new remixes by Robert Smith