Depeche Mode opened the short second North American leg of its Global Spirit Tour in Anaheim, Calif., last night, and dropped a big surprise into its setlist, performing the Martin Gore-sung Music For the Masses track “The Things You Said” for the first time in 30 years.
Prior to last night’s concert at the Honda Center in Anaheim, the song hadn’t been performed live since the famed Concert For the Masses, the epic show at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif., that was filmed and recorded for the Depeche Mode’s 101 concert film and accompanying double-disc soundtrack album.
Depeche Mode’s Global Sprint Tour resumes Thursday night in Sacramento, and continues through June 11 in Toronto before heading back to Europe for additional dates, wrapping July 25 in Berlin.
Below, check out fan-shot video of Gore singing “The Things You Said” last night.
Depeche Mode North American tour dates:
May 24: Golden 1 Center, Sacramento, CA
May 27: AT&T Center, San Antonio, TX
May 29: BoK Center, Tulsa, OK
June 1: United Center, Chicago, IL
June 3: Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia, PA
June 6: Barclays Center, Brooklyn, NY
June 9: TD Garden, Boston, MA
June 11: Air Canada Centre, Toronto, ON
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- The absolute best of Depeche Mode: All 209 songs ranked by Slicing Up Eyeballs’ readers
- Depeche Mode shares cover of David Bowie’s ‘Heroes’ for iconic song’s 40th anniversary
- Jailed Russian opposition leader laments he’ll miss Depeche Mode concert in Moscow
- Trent Reznor on seeing Depeche Mode in 1986: ‘It was spiritual and truly magic’
- Watch: Depeche Mode covers David Bowie’s ‘Heroes’ at ‘Spirit’ tour opener — full setlist
- Listen: Dave Gahan talks ’70s punk, formation of Depeche Mode on Nerdist podcast