Seven years after the band’s first nomination, The Cure has once again been put up for induction into the Rock and Hall of Fame, along with Devo, Kraftwerk, Roxy Music, Janet Jackson, Radiohead, Stevie Nicks, LL Cool J, Rage Against the Machine, MC5 and more.
The 15 nominees for the Class of 2019, unveiled this morning, also include John Prine, Rufus featuring Chaka Kahn, Def Leppard, Todd Rundgren and The Zombies.
Inductees will be announced in December.
To be eligible for induction into the Rock Hall, artists must have released their first album or single 25 years ago. The Cure first was eligible in 2004, but until today, its only nomination came in 2011 for the Class of 2012. Devo, eligible since 2003, is a first-time nominee this year, while more contemporary acts Radiohead and Rage Against the Machine are each up for consideration for a second year in a row.
Kraftwerk, eligible since 1995, has now been nominated five times, as has LL Cool J.
Fans can vote for their preference at the Rock and Roll Hall’s website, though that has very little bearing on the actual decision as to which acts will be inducted.
This year’s inductees included The Cars, Bon Jovi, Dire Straits, The Moody Blues and Nina Simone. Nominees Kate Bush, Depeche Mode and Eurythmics didn’t make the cut, joining the list of ’80s-era nominees — including The Smiths and The Replacements — that have been nominated, but ultimately snubbed by the Hall of Fame.
The full list of the Class of 2019 nominees:
- Def Leppard
- Janet Jackson
- John Prine
- LL Cool J
- Rage Against the Machine
- Roxy Music
- Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
- Stevie Nicks
- The Cure
- The Zombies
- Todd Rundgren
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- The Cars make Rock and Roll Hall of Fame — but Kate Bush and Depeche Mode snubbed
- Kate Bush, Depeche Mode, Eurythmics, The Cars nominated to Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- Heaven knows we’re miserable now: The Smiths snubbed by Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- The Smiths nominated for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame — plus Lou Reed, Nine Inch Nails, Kraftwerk
- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame snubs The Replacements — but Nirvana, Peter Gabriel get in