Morrissey today debuted the music video for his new cover of The Pretenders’ 1982 single “Back on the Chain Gang,” and, in a shocking development, it features the former Smiths frontman playing guitar. Or at least going through the motions.
The cover is produced by Joe Chiccarelli, who produced Moz’s last two albums, World Peace Is None of Your Business and Low in High School, and features Jesse Tobias on guitar, Solomon Walker on bass, Matthew Walker on drums and Roger Manning on keyboards.
Moz’s recording of the song will be released as a vinyl single Nov. 23.
Watch the video below.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Morrissey cancels Boston concert as another U.S. tour comes to an ignominious end
- Morrissey performs The Smiths’ ‘I Started Something I Couldn’t Finish’ for first time ever
- Watch: Morrissey debuts new songs, covers The Pretenders in 55-minute set for BBC
- Morrissey announces 16-date U.S. tour this fall in support of ‘Low in High School’
- Morrissey announces new album ‘Low in High-School,’ plus Hollywood Bowl concert
- The absolute best of The Smiths: All 70 songs ranked by Slicing Up Eyeballs’ readers