Ministry’s Al Jourgensen with Chris Connelly
Ministry performed the first of six special Record Store Day-related sets in Chicago on Saturday night, with frontman Al Jourgensen enlisting old bandmate Chris Connelly to help perform what was billed as a “Wax Trax!-era” set that largely focused on the band’s late-’80s, early-’90s albums The Land of Rape and Honey, The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste and Psalm 69.
The show at the House of Vans and was staged in conjunction with the Record Store Day release of the “Industrial Accident: The Story of Wax Trax! Records” documentary and its soundtrack, with many of the ticketholders having gained entry by purchasing the vinyl pressing of the film’s soundtrack that day.
Ministry will play similar events in Brooklyn, Toronto, Austin, San Francisco and Los Angeles over the next week or so. Check out Vans’ Record Store Day site for ticket information.
Saturday night in Chicago, Jourgensen and Co. first played a main set featuring three songs apiece off The Land of Rape and Honey, The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste and Psalm 69, with Connelly contributing vocals to “Burning Inside” and “So What.”
Ministry encored with a cover of Revolting Cocks’ “No Devotion,” with Connelly again on vocals, the cover of Black Sabbath’s “Supernaut” that Jourgensen recorded with 1,000 Homo DJs, the title track of Rape and Honey and the acoustic version of “(Every Day Is) Halloween” that the band’s been playing of late.
Check out Ministry’s upcoming dates, Saturday night’s setlist and video from the show.
“Industrial Accident” events with Ministry
April 15: Music Hall of Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY
April 17: Danforth Music Hall, Toronto, ON
April 19: Fair Market, Austin, TX
April 22: Great American Music Hall, San Francisco, CA
April 23: Teragram Ballrom, Los Angeles, CA
Ministry, House of Vans, Chicago, 4/13/19
1. “The Missing”
4. “Jesus Built My Hotrod”
5. “Just One Fix”
8. “Burning Inside” (with Chris Connelly)
9. “So What” (with Chris Connelly)
10. “No Devotion” (Revolting Cocks cover with Chris Connelly)
11. “Supernaut” (Black Sabbath cover)
12. “The Land of Rape and Honey”
13. “(Every Day Is) Halloween” (Acoustic with Chris Connelly)
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Listen to an unreleased Revolting Cocks track off the Wax Trax! documentary soundtrack
- Watch: Trailer for ‘Industrial Accident: The Story of Wax Trax! Records’ documentary
- ‘Industrial Accident: The Story of Wax Trax! Records’ to screen in Chicago next month
- Wax Trax! Records is back: Legendary label resurrected by co-founder’s daughter
- Dannie Flesher, co-founder of Chicago’s famed Wax Trax! Records, 1951-2010