The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this morning unveiled 16 nominees for its Class of 2020, a field that includes Depeche Mode, Kraftwerk, Nine Inch Nails, Soundgarden, Pat Benetar, Whitney Houston, The Notorious B.I.G., Judas Priest, Motörhead, the MC5 and more.
Also on the ballot for next year’s induction into the Rock Hall: The Doobie Brothers, Rufus featuring Chaka Khan, T. Rex, Thin Lizzy, Todd Rundgren and the Dave Matthews Band.
The final list of inductees is expected to be announced in January after the Rock Hall’s membership votes. The induction will be held in Cleveland on May 2. Rock Hall donors and members get “exclusive induction ticket opportunities” if they donate or join by Jan. 31. Visit rockhall.com/support to learn more.
Fans can also cast their votes for their favorites on Google, though that only adds a single vote to each of the top five artists in the fan vote, tallied through Jan. 10.
Artists are eligible for nomination into the Rock Hall beginning 25 years after their first release. This is Depeche Mode’s third nomination since becoming eligible in 2006; the band previously was nominated for the 2017 and 2018 classes. If selected, former members Vince Clarke and Alan Wilder would join the current lineup of Dave Gahan, Martin Gore and Andy Fletcher in being inducted.
This is also the third nomination for Nine Inch Nails, eligible since 2014; the fifth time around for the MC5, eligible since 1991; and the sixth nod for Kraftwerk, eligible since 1995.
There are nine first-time nominees this year, including Dave Matthews Band, The Doobie Brothers, Whitney Houston, Motörhead, The Notorious B.I.G., Pat Benatar, Soundgarden, T. Rex and Thin Lizzy.
This year, the Rock Hall inducted The Cure alongside Roxy Music, Janet Jackson, Radiohead and more.
Here’s the full list of Class of 2020 nominees:
- Pat Benatar
- Dave Matthews Band
- Depeche Mode
- The Doobie Brothers
- Whitney Houston
- Judas Priest
- Nine Inch Nails
- The Notorious B.I.G.
- Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
- Todd Rundgren
- T. Rex
- Thin Lizzy
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- The Cure to enter Rock and Roll Hall of Fame alongside Roxy Music, Radiohead and more
- The Cure, Devo, Kraftwerk, Roxy Music and more nominated to Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- The Cars make Rock and Roll Hall of Fame — but Kate Bush and Depeche Mode snubbed
- Kate Bush, Depeche Mode, Eurythmics, The Cars nominated to Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- Heaven knows we’re miserable now: The Smiths snubbed by Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- The Smiths nominated for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame — plus Lou Reed, Nine Inch Nails, Kraftwerk
- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame snubs The Replacements — but Nirvana, Peter Gabriel get in