The Cure is teasing the release of its final performance of 1989’s Disintegration during a five-night run in Sydney, Australia, this past May and sharing three full songs — “Plainsong,” “Pictures of You” and “Disintegration” — taken from that concert.
Posting on Facebook, frontman Robert Smith — in characteristic caps lock — writes that the shows were “among the most memorable we have ever played,” and noted the final night of the run was filmed (and livestreamed) by director Nick Wickman. “The release of the whole concert can’t be too far away,” he added.
Here’s his full statement:
OUR FIVE SHOWS AT THE SYDNEY OPERA HOUSE IN MAY 2019 – CELEBRATING THE 30TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE 1989 ALBUM DISINTEGRATION – ARE AMONG THE MOST MEMORABLE WE HAVE EVER PLAYED – INDEED, OUR ENTIRE SYDNEY TRIP WAS LIKE A WONDERFUL DREAM… I AM SO HAPPY THE FINAL NIGHT OF THE RUN WAS CAPTURED IN SUCH EXPRESSIVE STYLE BY OUR LONGTIME FRIEND AND DIRECTOR NICK WICKHAM – THE RELEASE OF THE WHOLE CONCERT CAN’T BE TOO FAR AWAY… ” RS
Below, check out those three live clips from Disintegration:
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- The Cure turns Pasadena Daydream into ‘the best day of the summer’ with scorching set
- The Cure to release 6-disc ‘40 Live: Curaetion-25 + Anniversary’ audio/video box set
- The Cure plays Japan’s Fuji Rock Festival with Simon Gallup’s son Eden on bass
- Watch: The Cure plays an epic ‘Disintegration’ in full, plus rarities, via Sydney webcast
- The Cure to play 2-weekend Austin City Limits Music Festival in Texas this October
- Listen: The Cure’s Robert Smith re-records ‘Pictures of You’ for ‘Dead Good’ documentary
- The Cure at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: Watch the induction, see the performances
- The absolute best of The Cure: All 225 songs ranked by Slicing Up Eyeballs’ readers
Yeah, Bobby, can’t be any further than the proper release of In Orange you’ve promised 98 years ago. I’m a true hardcore di-hard Cure fan, and as such, don’t believe a word this guy says. If it happens, outstanding. If it doesn’t, no harm done. Promises promises.
Would love this for the first set alone! Release it, along with WISH remaster and LOST WISHES, Robert!!!!
I am with Duckydogs if it happens great. I think the Cure should release it, it would be a must for die hard fans.
Agreed. That whole post from RSx a few years back about releasing 4:13 Scream was/is just embarrassing.