The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s Class of 2020 will include pioneering synthpop outfit turned stadium rockers Depeche Mode alongside Nine Inch Nails, Whitney Houston, The Notorious B.I.G., T. Rex and The Doobie Brothers, the organization announced this morning.
Famed managers Jon Landau and Iriving Azoff will each receive the Ahmet Ertegum Award.
Not making the cut in 2020: nominees Pat Benetar, Dave Matthews Band, Judas Priest, Kraftwerk, MC5, Motörhead, Rufus featuring Chaka Kahn, Todd Rundgren, Soundgarden and Thin Lizzy.
This year’s induction will be held at the Public Auditorium in Cleveland on May 2. Rock Hall donors and members get “exclusive induction ticket opportunities” if they donate or join by Jan. 31. Visit rockhall.com/support to learn more. Tickets go on sale to Rock Hall members on Feb. 25 and to the general public at 10 a.m. Eastern Feb. 27 via Ticketmaster.
We’re honoured to be included as one of this year’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees, and to stand alongside the other incredible acts in the Rock Hall and those joining this year. A huge thank you to everyone who has supported us and our music over the years. #RockHall2020 pic.twitter.com/YV2UV8F7Fi
— Depeche Mode (@depechemode) January 15, 2020
Artists are eligible for nomination into the Rock Hall beginning 25 years after their first release. This was Depeche Mode’s third nomination since becoming eligible in 2006; the band previously was nominated for the 2017 and 2018 classes. Former members Vince Clarke and Alan Wilder join the current lineup of Dave Gahan, Martin Gore and Andy Fletcher in being inducted.
This was also the third nomination for Nine Inch Nails, eligible since 2014; the fifth time around for the MC5, eligible since 1991; and the sixth nod for Kraftwerk, eligible since 1995.
Last year, the Rock Hall inducted The Cure alongside Roxy Music, Janet Jackson, Radiohead and more.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Depeche Mode, Kraftwerk, MC5, NIN among Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees
- The Cure to enter Rock and Roll Hall of Fame alongside Roxy Music, Radiohead and more
- The Cure, Devo, Kraftwerk, Roxy Music and more nominated to Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- The Cars make Rock and Roll Hall of Fame — but Kate Bush and Depeche Mode snubbed
- Kate Bush, Depeche Mode, Eurythmics, The Cars nominated to Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- Heaven knows we’re miserable now: The Smiths snubbed by Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- The Smiths nominated for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame — plus Lou Reed, Nine Inch Nails, Kraftwerk
- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame snubs The Replacements — but Nirvana, Peter Gabriel get in