Photo by Jill Furmanovsky
The legendary Chrissie Hynde is reactivating The Pretenders for the band’s first album in four years and 11th overall, a collection of new music called Hate for Sale that she’s previewing with the new single “The Buzz” — which you can stream below right now.
The 10-song album, produced by Stephen Street of The Smiths fame, is due out May 1 and is the first Pretenders LP to feature the longtime touring lineup of the band, with Hynde joined by founding drummer Martin Chambers, guitarist James Walbourne — who co-wrote the songs — and bassist Nick Wilkinson.
The album can be pre-ordered now via Amazon.com.
In announcing the album, Hynde says:
“I think we all know that love affairs can take on the characteristics of drug addiction ‘The Buzz’ is about that. Not mine, of course — I’m never obsessive never obsessive never obsessive.”
The Pretenders will support the new album with an extensive North American tour with Journey, though with dates in mid-May, it seems those likely may be pushed back due to ongoing efforts to slow the spread of the coronavirus by canceling events that draw large crowds.
Keep an eye on the band’s website for more information.
The Pretenders, Hate For Sale
1. “Hate For Sale”
2. “The Buzz”
3. “Lightning Man”
4. “Turf Accountant Daddy”
5. “You Can’t Hurt a Fool”
6. “I Didn’t Know When To Stop”
7. “Maybe Love Is In NYC”
8. “Junkie Walk”
9. “Didn’t Want To Be This Lonely”
10. “Crying in Public”
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Pretenders’ ‘Live! At the Paradise Theater’ promo live LP to get Record Store Day release
- Morrissey records cover of The Pretenders’ ‘Back on the Chain Gang’ for future single
- Vintage Video: The Pretenders’ ‘Learning to Crawl’ tour is MTV’s ‘Saturday Night Concert’
- Chrissie Hynde goes solo with ‘Stockholm’ — stream 1st single ‘Dark Sunglasses’