Photo by Naomi Yang
Tanya Donelly recently started a new weekly series of home-recorded covers that she’s using to help raise money for good causes, and the latest installment finds her channeling her old Boston friends Pixies through their song “Here Comes Your Man.” Stream it below.
Yesterday’s release was Week 4 of Donelly’s Sunday Series, and previous weeks have found the Belly/Throwing Muses/Breeders veteran covering the Rolling Stones, Labi Siffre and Bob Marley.
The Pixies cover features Donelly joined by Russell Chudnofsky, Joe McMahon, Gail Greenwood and Dave Brophy, and a host of background vocalists — all recorded at home studios and pieced together.
There’s also a special bonus track: a cover of Belly’s “Stay” by Charley Stone. Donelly writes: “I heard her version this past week, and I love it so much that I had to include it here. Listening to her sing and play it, I feel like *she* wrote this song, and that’s a pretty weird and wonderful feeling.”
Proceeds from sales of the song via Bandcamp will go to the staff of Great Scott, a beloved Boston music venue that is closing, and local musicians.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Tanya Donelly giving away demos to Belly’s ‘Star’ in memory of late producer Joe Harvard
- Listen: Belly premieres ‘Stars Align’ — 2nd single off band’s first album in 23 years
- Watch: Kristin Hersh and Tanya Donelly reunite onstage for a little ‘Two Step’ in Boston
- Belly returns with new album ‘Dove,’ plus U.S. and U.K. tours — hear 1st single ‘Shiny One’
- Tanya Donelly recording new album with Belly, playing Boston with Kristin Hersh