Well, it’s been a couple years since we last dipped our toes into our ongoing series of artist polls, but it feels as good a time as any to revive that practice, and ask the readers of Slicing Up Eyeballs to rank every song written and released by the legendary Joy Division.
By our count, Joy Division wrote and recorded 51 different songs between forming in 1976 and frontman Ian Curtis’s death in 1980, and we’re asking you to select your favorites from that list so that we may assemble a definitive ranking — like we’ve done already with the oeuvres of The Cure, The Smiths, R.E.M., Depeche Mode, New Order and Siouxsie and the Banshees.
VOTING: Below you’ll find a ballot listing those 51 songs released by Joy Division. You’re welcome to vote for as many as 10 of your favorite songs written and released by the band.
A few notes on all this:
- We’re fairly confident that our list of 51 songs is comprehensive, but if there are any missing, there is a write-in option at the bottom of the poll. You can also email email@example.com to alert us to any omissions, or if you’ve got any questions about song eligibility beyond the rules described here.
- This list is largely comprised of studio-recorded songs released by Joy Division via albums, singles or EPs, as has been our practice in past artist polls. But because Joy Division’s output is relatively limited, we’re including any officially released versions of songs by the band, including demos of two songs later recorded by New Order, an original song only ever recorded live, and material later released from sessions when the group was still called Warsaw. Not included: live versions, radio-session recordings, demos and remixes that duplicate songs already on this list, and no cover versions, either.
- While you can vote for up to 10 songs, they all will be weighed equally when the results are tallied. But if you’d like to share your ranked Top 10 lists with the rest of the Slicing Up Eyeballs readers, feel free to drop them in the comments below, and make your case.
- And if you’re wondering about the Best of the ’80s Redux poll for 1987, we’re still tabulating the results (those fill-in-your-own-choices polls take much longer than multiple-choice polls like this one).
DEADLINE: Voting ends 5 p.m. EDT Friday, May 15, and results will be posted at some point after that.
Sound good? Then vote away.
(If you have any difficulty using the form below, go directly to Crowdsignal to vote: poll.fm/10547110)
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Best of Siouxsie and the Banshees: All 176 songs ranked by Slicing Up Eyeballs’ readers
- The absolute best of New Order: All 157 songs ranked by Slicing Up Eyeballs’ readers
- The absolute best of Depeche Mode: All 209 songs ranked by Slicing Up Eyeballs’ readers
- The absolute best of R.E.M.: All 282 songs ranked by Slicing Up Eyeballs’ readers
- The absolute best of The Smiths: All 70 songs ranked by Slicing Up Eyeballs’ readers
- The absolute best of The Cure: All 225 songs ranked by Slicing Up Eyeballs’ readers