Dinosaur Jr will make a return to live music with a pair of limited-capacity, socially distanced outdoor concerts — one a “drive-in” show with fans in cars, the other with attendees in spaced-out “grids” — in New England next month, the band announced today.
First up is a show on Sept. 11 at South Farms in Morris, Connecticut. For $110, fans get access to an 8-foot-by-8-foot grid of grass that can accommodate two people. There are similarly sized grids left open on either side, to ensure social distancing, with one-way aisles marked between each row of grids.
The grids are also offset, so the space in front of an occupied grid is an unoccupied grid, for both social distancing and to provide an unobstructed view. Here’s a diagram that shows how that works.
Then, on Sept. 12, the band plays the Drive-In Live series at
At both venues, masks are required at all times except for when fans are inside their cars or in their “grids.” The Connecticut venue says it will perform temperature checks on all attendees, and presumably bar anyone with a fever from entering as a way to prevent the spread of COVID-19 — though that’s not explicitly stated.
Tickets for both shows go on sale 10 a.m. Eastern on Friday, Aug. 14.
Dinosaur Jr tour dates
Sept. 11: Twilight Concerts on the Farm, South Farms, Morris, CT, USA
Sept. 12: Drive In Live, Cheshire Fairgrounds, Swanzey, NH, USA
June 12: Primavera Sound 2021, Porto, Portugal
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Dinosaur Jr in the studio recording follow-up to 2016’s ‘Give a Glimpse of What Yer Not’
- Listen: Dinosaur Jr’s J Mascis covers Tom Petty’s classic single ‘Don’t Do Me Like That’
- Stream this goldmine of ’80s/’90s live tapes from Sonic Youth, The Fall, Hüsker Dü, Pixies and more
- Vintage Video: Dinosaur Jr previews ‘You’re Living All Over Me’ at UMass in 1986
- ‘120 Minutes’ Rewind: Dinosaur Jr goes looking for a new bass player via fax — 1991
- Watch J Mascis cover Mazzy Star’s ‘Fade Into You’ on ‘Late Night with Seth Meyers’