The rumored appearance by The Cure’s Robert Smith on the next installment of Gorillaz’s “Song Machine” series was confirmed by the group on Twitter today, though it’s not yet clear when the song — the sixth episode in the series — will arrive.
Based on Gorillaz’s Instagram post, the song appears to be called “Strange Timez.”
The Damon Albarn-led Gorillaz launched “Song Machine” in January with the plan to release 10 individual tracks — each with different guests — through October, after which they’d be packaged into an album. Contributors so far include Peter Hook, the late Tony Allen, Skepta, Schoolboy Q and Octavian.
In addition to tweeting confirmation of Smith’s participation, Gorillaz also posted a short audio skit featuring the group’s cartoon member hinting at The Cure frontman’s participation.
See both below.
— gorillaz (@gorillaz) September 7, 2020
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- The Cure hints at release of ‘Disintegration’ performance in Sydney, shares 3 songs
- The Cure turns Pasadena Daydream into ‘the best day of the summer’ with scorching set
- The Cure to release 6-disc ‘40 Live: Curaetion-25 + Anniversary’ audio/video box set
- The Cure plays Japan’s Fuji Rock Festival with Simon Gallup’s son Eden on bass
- Watch: The Cure plays an epic ‘Disintegration’ in full, plus rarities, via Sydney webcast
- The absolute best of The Cure: All 225 songs ranked by Slicing Up Eyeballs’ readers