Chrissie Hynde on Friday digitally released Standing in the Doorway, a new album of nine Bob Dylan covers that she recorded while on COVID-19 lockdown last year, exchanging musical files with Pretenders bandmate James Walbourne via text message.
The album, mixed by Grammy winner Tchad Blade, will receive CD and vinyl releases on Aug. 30.
Of the project, Hynde says:
“A few weeks into lockdown last year, James sent me the new Dylan track, ‘Murder Most Foul.’ Listening to that song completely changed everything for me. I was lifted out of this morose mood that I’d been in. I remember where I was sitting the day that Kennedy was shot – every reference in the song. Whatever Bob does, he still manages somewhere in there to make you laugh because as much as anything, he’s a comedian. He’s always funny and always has something to say. I called James and said, ‘Let’s do some Dylan covers,’ and that’s what started this whole thing.”
The collection is named off a track off Dylan’s 1997 album Time Out of Mind, and also features recordings of “You’re a Big Girl Now,” “Blind Willie McTell,” “Love Minus Zero/No Limit” and more.
Stream the full set below via Spotify.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- The Pretenders announce new album ‘Hate For Sale’ — listen to 1st single ‘The Buzz’
- Pretenders’ ‘Live! At the Paradise Theater’ promo live LP to get Record Store Day release
- Morrissey records cover of The Pretenders’ ‘Back on the Chain Gang’ for future single
- Vintage Video: The Pretenders’ ‘Learning to Crawl’ tour is MTV’s ‘Saturday Night Concert’
- Chrissie Hynde goes solo with ‘Stockholm’ — stream 1st single ‘Dark Sunglasses’