Midnight Oil this week debuted the third track off of its forthcoming 13th studio album Resist, a song called “At the Time of Writing” that is more rocking than its two predecessors. You can stream the full track below. It follows the release of “Rising Seas” and “Tarkine.”
The Oils recorded Resist alongside 2020’s The Makarrata Project — a collaboration with First Nation musicians — pre-COVID, and prior to the death in 2020 of bassist Bones Hillman, who appears on the new record. (Bassist Adam Ventoura is touring with the Oils.) The album, the band says, “engages with the issues of today and tomorrow,” as evidence already by the climate-change-themed “Rising Seas.”
The band this month embarked on what it’s calling its final tour, consisting of more than 20 headlining and festival dates in Australia and New Zealand in early 2022. The Oils insist this does not mark the end of the band, just the end of touring — and the group says it is considering “a handful of international concerts,” subject to COVID restrictions.
Check out “At the Time of Writing” below.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS:
- Midnight Oil announces new album ‘Resist,’ final tour — but not end of the band
- Midnight Oil releases climate call to action ‘Rising Seas’ off upcoming studio album
- Listen: Midnight Oil returns with ‘Gadigal Land’ — first new song in 17 years
- Midnight Oil to release ‘Gadigal Land’ — first new song in 17 years — this week
- Midnight Oil to release 2 new albums this year, tour internationally into 2021
- Midnight Oil details huge new 12-disc box set: Demos, rarities, B-sides, hours of live video
- Midnight Oil announces massive 2017 reunion tour, 3 huge box sets with unreleased music