While initially announced as U.K.-only, Rhino Records has decided to release a limited number of The Smiths’ career-spanning Complete box sets in the U.S. exclusively through Rhino.com. Even better: They’ve given us a copy of the deluxe CD-and-vinyl edition to give away to one very lucky Slicing Up Eyeballs reader.
Available in three formats, Complete features all eight of the band’s albums — The Smiths, Meat is Murder, The Queen is Dead and Strangeways Here We Come, plus compilations Hatful of Hollow, The World Won’t Listen and Louder Than Bombs, and the live Rank — newly remastered by guitarist Johnny Marr and engineer Frank Arkwright from “the original tape sources.”
The winner of this contest will receive — courtesy of Rhino — a copy of the Deluxe Boxset, which is limited to 4,000 copies worldwide (750 in the U.S.) and comes in a numbered, “trunk-style box.”
Pictured above, it features:
- All eight albums on CD, featuring mini-LP replica packaging with gatefold card wallets
- All eight albums on 180-gram audiophile vinyl (five single LPs and three doubles)
- Twenty-five 7-inches, featuring all of the band’s singles with “specially reproduced rarities”
- A 36-inch by 24-inch poster of all album and single cover artwork
- “The Complete Picture” DVD, featuring all of the band’s music videos
- An eight-page, 12-inch booklet featuring “expanded liner notes”
- 12-inch art prints of each album cover’s artwork
To enter: Because this contest is tied to the U.S. release of Complete, it is, unfortunately, open only to U.S. residents (sorry, those are Rhino’s rules). To enter, please name your favorite Smiths song in the comment section below — and tell us why you’ve chosen that one. Be sure to use a valid e-mail address when leaving that comment, as that is how the winner ultimately will be notified. We’ll accept entries until 12 p.m. EDT Monday, Oct. 18.
To purchase: Now, for those interested in buying the Complete sets domestically rather than on import, Rhino.com is now pre-selling the Deluxe Boxset ($499.98, due out Oct. 25) as well as the Vinyl Boxset (the eight LPs, plus the booklet and poster, priced at $249.98 and due out Oct. 18) and the CD Boxset (just the eight CDs, priced at $69.99 and due out Oct. 18).
UPDATE 10/24/11: Out of more than 1,000 entries, the randomly selected winner of The Smiths’ Complete box set is… Jerome Stockham. Thank you all so much for entering, and, most importantly, sharing your great stories about The Smiths. They’ve been a blast to read.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS:
- Morrissey announces 17-date fall tour of southwestern U.S., Mexico
- Vintage Video: Morrissey soundchecks, hangs out during ‘Kill Uncle’ tour in 1991
- Morrissey: Norway killings ‘horrific,’ but millions ‘murdered every single day’ for fast food
- ‘The Smiths — Complete’ box set: 8 albums on vinyl, CD; plus 25 7-inch singles, DVD
- Video: Cheeky ad for The Smiths’ ‘Best…’ spoofs comp as suicide soundtrack
- The Smiths’ ‘Queen is Dead’ released 25 years ago today; watch ‘Rank’ concert