Noting his contributions “to the music and cultural scene of Minneapolis for over four decades,” the mayor of Minnesota’s largest city has declared Thursday — Valentine’s Day to most — also will be Slim Dunlap Day, honoring the former Replacements guitarist who suffered a debilitating stroke a year ago, according to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.
The proclamation, which you can read above, comes following an online petition, and after Dunlap returned to the hospital for an extended stay last month, according to the newspaper. It also follows the recent benefit auction of the ‘Mats “Songs For Slim” reunion EP, which raised more than $105,000 and which will be released digitally next month.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- The Replacements raise more than $100,000 for Slim Dunlap with reunion EP auction
- The Replacements’ ‘Songs for Slim’ EP tracklist finalized, auction expected next week
- The Replacements tease ‘Songs for Slim’ reunion EP to benefit Slim Dunlap
- Stream: ‘Color Me Obsessed: A Film About The Replacements’ — full 2-hour documentary
- The Replacements reunite to record vinyl-only covers EP, new album ‘possible’
- Free MP3: Paul Westerberg, ‘My Road Now’ — ex-Replacement’s first new song in 2 years