Source: @Johnny_Marr on Twitter
Last month, Johnny Marr brought his old friend and The The bandleader Matt Johnson onstage at the Roundhouse in London to perform a cover of the Lovin’ Spoonful’s classic 1966 single “Summer in the City” — their first time onstage together in 25 years.
Turns out they also recorded the song at soundcheck that night, and now have released it digitally.
In an email announcing the release, Marr says: “It’s been great to record with Matt again and to play alongside his amazing voice. The The is part of my life and we both always loved ‘Summer in the City.’ We’ve made it our own.”
Stream the track below via Spotify or YouTube.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Listen: Johnny Marr debuts Smiths-esque ‘Hi Hello’ — second single off ‘Call the Comet’
- The Smiths’ ‘The Queen is Dead’ 3CD/1DVD reissue to include unreleased 1986 live album
- ‘120 Minutes’ Rewind: Johnny Marr gets his post-Smiths spotlight in 1987
- The The re-enlists Johnny Marr on first new single in 10 years for Record Store Day
- Johnny Marr to publish autobiography in 2016: ‘The time has come to tell my story’